Monday, June 18, 2012

Akwaaba!

Tip #1: Avoid flying out of JFK if at all possible. Getting to JFK airport was such a nightmare. Although I had been warned several times, I had no idea what a headache it was just to get to JFK. Luckily my flight had been delayed by almost 2 hours, so I stood in line patiently for 45 minutes to check in, and another 45 minutes to pass through security.


Tip #2: I highly recommend flying Turkish Airlines if possible. I can't remember the last time I flew on a plane that provided me with so many free goodies. Toothbrush, socks, earplugs, lip balm, eye mask, and red wine. During my layover in Istanbul I picked up a free newspaper, but options were slim pickings. I picked up the only newspaper available in English - Star. 




After flying a total of 16 hours, I was finally greeted by Akwaaba!, or welcome!, at the airport. It was dark, but luckily a classmate of mine was on the same flight so we wandered around the airport like obrunis, or foreigners, together. Getting off at an unknown airport and being swarmed by taxi drivers who are all competing for your business is always a bit overwhelming. Luckily I've exited enough airports to know just to stay calm, hold tightly to my bags, and scope the scene before I hope I trekked alone Travella Lodge where I met another classmate of mine, Priscilla. 
Sheila, the owner of Travella Lodge welcomed me by holding my hand and showing me to my room. The next morning Sheila made us breakfast and was wearing an extravagant yellow and blue two-pieced dress. After taking a stroll around the neighborhood you notice many women are similarly beautifully dressed in flattering dresses made from colorful fabrics of lively colors and patterns.


My roommate Priscilla.








We met up with the rest of our class and headed to the NYU Academic Center located in Labone. Our home for the next three weeks, Soloman's Lodge, is equipped with mostly reliable wi-fi, 24-hour generators, and hot water which I've come to learn are definite luxuries in Ghana. Soloman's Lodge accommodates about 30 students, has 2 common areas, and huge kitchen, and laundry room on site. Considering the price of NYU tuition, I'm not complaining!




Our room. Can't remember the last time I slept in bunkbeds.

Hanging out in the common space.





      


2 comments:

  1. I tried leaving a comment the other day but my phone was giving me troubles!

    Anyway, I'm glad you made it there safely! Looks like fun and you would get a GHANA BEER the second you have the opportunity to ;) Miss your face and take care my friend!

    ps- Over the weekend I had 2 shots of espresso over ice before my yoga class and totally thought of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Oh man, what I would give for a double shot espresso over ice right now... (they drink instant coffee out here). That sounds SO good. And yes, you know trying all local brews is a definite MUST. :) Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete