Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Freezing My Ass Off in this Naturally Gorgeous City

The last few days have been relaxing, yet I hate sitting in one place so I've explored quite a lot. Staying in hostels is always interesting because there's always someone to talk to and someone to go out with.

Although Cape Town is gorgeous and there's tons of outdoorsy stuff to do, it is extremely cold! The first few days it was raining, but at least today and yesterday there was no cloud in sight. Planning according to the weather I crossed a few of the museums of my list when the weather was crappy and then ventured to the Waterfront and Boulder's Beach when the weather was near perfect.

With a plethora of museums to choose from, I wanted to start with museums that explained Cape Town's racial and social history, including the Apartheid. Oftentimes in class I'm presented with the question of 'what makes you tick?', as in 'what are you passionate about?' and I learned that understanding race, class, and socioeconomic status; and deciphering exactly what factors prevents those areas from achieving equality makes me tick. One reason why I chose South Africa as a place to study is because despite the obvious societal hierarchies, if you will, that are obviously present - somehow everyone is able to coexist - or are they? Racial tension is undeniably alive in
Cape Town and you can feel it. 

Slave Lodge

"At the Cape From 1711 to 1795 Slaves Outnumbered Colonists."

Walking Down Government Lane


District 6 Museum - www.districtsix.co.za. Too lazy to explain right now, but I promise to update with the background story District 6 deserves some time soon.




I went to the National Library of South Africa to do some research. Yes, I know its weird to think I came all the way to South Africa to spend my entire afternoon in a library, but I am here for school. Anyways, the library operates on a 'reference only' basis, meaning you can't check anything out. I wrote the title and shelf number of the book I wanted and they brought it to my table. I noticed a sign on the wall that read: "92% of South African Schools Don't Have A Library". Information is definitely not free and this library made it loud and clear. 

Other indoor activities include pasta-making at the hostel with Zebra Crossing family.


Several 'Note to Self' Moments While in Cape Town:
  • 'Braai' is slang for BarBQ, not an eating establishment. When someone says "We are going to braii for dinner, come join" the response should never be... "Awesome, where is braai? I'll meet you there."
  • Don't walk around after dark alone. Okay maybe a golden rule for anywhere, but I sure felt a lot safer in Ghana at night than I do in Cape Town. Don't worry nothing crazy happened to me, but if I'm out alone and the sun starts to set I always make sure I head back towards the hostel.
  • Girls don't drink beer. I was hanging out at a local bar with some friends I met, and one of the girls I was with went was from Cape Town, but went to college in Boston, MA. She was telling me how she was so amazed that girls ordered draft beer at the bar. Girls in Cape Town will drink Hunters (cider) or Smirnoff but they just don't drink beer, she said.
  • The weather people are magically always correct! Capetonians swear by the weather forecast and they have a right to. If someone tells me tonight that tomorrow will be bright and sunny all day, sure enough it is. If the news says its going to start raining on Tuesday, no doubt about it the rain clouds start rolling in Monday night.  
Heading to Stellenbosch tomorrow! So far I have one confirmed meeting on Friday August 3 with the CEO and Manager of Koopmanskloof and another meeting with the CEO of Van Loveren next Tuesday August 7 - both wineries. Excited! Until then, I have research to do and draft meeting agendas to prepare. Work, Work, Work. 




No comments:

Post a Comment