Thursday, August 2, 2012

Waterfront Views and African Penguins

For the first few days in Cape Town it rained. But the last few days were bright and sunny! So I capitalized on the weather and headed straight for the coast. Lucky for me public transportation is decent enough, where I can get myself around for relatively cheap. My only other options are to rent a car (but they drive on right side of the car and the other side of the road, so hell no) or hire a shuttle/taxi (which can easily cost R200, or $25 one-way) so I'm thankful for the MiCiti and Metorail. The New Yorker in me sees no problem with public transportation!

Views from the Waterfront. I didn't take a photo of it, but from the Waterfront you can see the HUGE stadium where the World Cup 2010 took place. Because the World Cup was so recent, it makes a lot of sense why this area is so clean, modern, and new.

V&A Mall at the Wharf is your typical mall... bla bla. I didn't come here to hang out at the mall, but it was beautiful to look at!

Views from the Metrorail on the way to Simonstown and Boulders Beach.

Colorful houses decorate the bottom of the mountain landscape.

From what I understand Simonstown used to be and old Naval community. I did walk past the Naval museum, but I wasn't dying to learn more about Cape Town's Naval history - I'll pass, thanks. Simonstown however, is quaint and adorable! The street is lined with small Mom & Pop shops, and I was nearly distracted by every single one on my 2m walk from the train station to Boulder's Beach.


Well there you have it - your Fun Fact of the Day!

After my 2m trek I arrived at Boulder's Beach - 'Home of the African Penguin'. The beach was well-kept and it felt almost like a Sea World amusement park-ish. There were several vendors outside of the park selling penguin memorabilia, stuffed animals, hats, ceramics, and others. Entrance was R40, the most expensive admission price I've paid in South Africa yet. Let hope the R40 goes towards keeping the little penguins' home clean and safe. 

Boardwalks to the penguin viewing site.

SO CUTE. Need I say more?



Apparently its common for penguins to escape the fenced area. They enjoy frolicking in vegetation and surrounding the beach,  on the other side of the green meshed fence is residential. Coincidentally most of the residential houses have gardens that look very similar to vegetation on the beach. Oftentimes the penguins are seen climbing the mesh fence and into running across the pavement and into people's front yards. Even while I was there a worker on park patrol was handling this exact situation.  

They were so close you wanted to grab one and put it in your pocket!!! Gah! 

I'm sure others have thought the same thing. Hence the sign.

Alright, one picture of me is okay.

In real-time news, I arrived in Stellenbosch yesterday and checked into the Ikhaya Backpackers Hostel. I splurged on a wine tour today, spending about $50 for a full-day tour that visits 4 wineries and includes lunch and all wine and cheese tastings. So compared to Napa prices, super cheap. Plus, there was no way I let myself pass through Stellenbosch, the 'wine capital of South Africa' and not splurge on a wine tour. Leaving soon, can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment