Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Coastal Cape Town

Oh, the Green Elephant in OBZ, or Green 'Ellie' as some people call it. Probably my favorite backpackers joint I had the pleasure of staying while on my hostel hoppin' journey. I can rave about the Green Ellie, or you can just read by TripAdvisor review here: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g312659-d630014-Reviews-Green_Elephant-Cape_Town_Central_Western_Cape.html. In short, great mix of locals, undergrad/masters/doctoral students, NGO volunteers, other travelers from all over the world, and staff that is just as friendly and social as they are professional. 

Remy, the Green Elephant owner's son, offered to drive several of us Cape Town newbies around the city. Although the weather wasn't ideal when do I ever say no to being next to the water? Plus, I've always heard that the best way to take in the Cape's coastline is via car and with the opportunity to do so only a few days before I leave Cape Town, this was a perfect chance! This morning I was actually getting dressed to go out for a morning jog when Edwina, one of the front desk reception workers insisted I come along. Although I've been terribly slacking on routined exercise.... hmm, morning jog or driving around the Cape coast...? 

We stopped for a lunch of fish and chips at Mariners Wharf in Hout Bay.

Views of Hout Bay as the sun decided to join us.

Emily and Edwina (accompanied by her ice cream).

Since I hate taking photos of myself, photo credit goes to Emily but I love this candid photo.


Seals in Hout Bay got me a little San Francisco reminiscent.

Here is one of the many lookout points while driving along the Cape coastline. With miles of green textured mountains, jagged coastlines, and diverse blue ocean colors, I could sit up here all day.

Oh hey, thats me. By the way, this purple pareo from Thaiti has been a lifesaver in Cape Town's freezing weather! Considering the limited space in my backpack and the fact that I have TONS of scarves in New York, I refused to purchase another. Plus, the less clothes in my backpack the more room I had for wine... you know - the more important things in life.

Edwina, Remy, Emily, Marilyn, and I at some lookout point of which I forget the name.

AH, breathtaking.

On a not-so-important-yet-worth-mentioning note, my blog hit over 1100 views! Woo-hoo!

On yet ANOTHER note - shoutout to IPSA (International Public Service Association) @ NYU Wagner's website which follows this blog and several of my other colleagues who spent the summer abroad. You can check out IPSA and other amazing blogs here: http://wagneripsa.wordpress.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment