Tuesday, January 20, 2015

From Windhoek to Joburg, back to Windhoek. Repeat.

Chasing gorgeous sundowners has become the norm in Windhoek, Namibia.

After traveling for a while, you become accustomed to flights - well, mostly have no other choice but to become accustomed. Visiting home becomes a 30+ hour journey (and occasionally 48+ hours with delays), a flight which I recognize I am fortunate enough to take once or twice per year. 

While the statement “I love flying” may be an overstatement, I’ve become comfortable and content on an airplane. I still get filled with excitement and anticipation as I step out of the car when my dropped off at an international terminal. There is something to be said about the anticipation of journeying off to somewhere new, leaving familiarity behind and being whisked away to somewhere anywhere but ‘here’. Each change of scenery is an adventure on its own, even when migrating short distances between one city and the next. 

I’m not sure when I became addicted to the magic of being transported from one part of the world to another, but I will say that I’ve consistently worked towards living a lifestyle that involves having a career with geographic fluidity. Only a few months ago did I come to the realization that since I was 18, I haven't lived in the same city for more than 2 years - including the 6-months I spent studying at Thammasat University in Bangkok, Thailand and backpacking through most of Southeast Asia on the weekends.

Although 5 years ago, or even 2 years ago I would have never imagined myself living and working in Windhoek, Namibia, I can’t say I’ve veered too far from my overall goal. My main takeaway from studying abroad in Bangkok back in 2007, was that I would much rather work and live in different countries, versus traveling the world through the lens of a tourist. Rather, I told myself, I would find a way to work and live in different countries long enough to experience the day-to-day life through the eyes of a local.


And so, the journey continues.

German architecture on the morning walk to the Ministry of Home Affairs and Immigration (MHAI). 


When my one-year position as an Adviser for the South African Supplier Development Council came to an end this past August, I was determined to find another job somewhere in South Africa or a nearby country. After one year, I accepted that I was not ready to walk away from Jozi and all its complexed beauty. I stumbled across an opportunity with a South African-based management consulting firm through a friend of mine (further evidence that your networks are key!) and learned they were hiring consultants for an upcoming project with the Ministry of Home Affairs and Immigration in Windhoek, Namibia. Until my first day at work the Ministry, I had never set foot in the country. About two-and-a-half-years ago, I spent a few hours in the Windhoek Hosea Kutako International Airport whilst in transit from Cape Town to Accra (and met a new friend in the process), but that was the extent of my Windhoek experience.

So, what am I doing here in Windhoek? To save the both of us time and confusion, I'll point you to this poster that is one of the many signage initiatives we've undertaken at the Ministry. I appreciate this poster because it succinctly gives you an overall idea of the Project's aim. Whenever someone enquires about the work I'm doing here, I send them this photo (see above). You can also read about the project in an article published by The Namibian back in May 2014.

To answer other questions received from friends and family, the 'Turnaround Project' is 18 months and began in June 2014. One perk of is that it gives me the opportunity to continue traveling, without completely leaving Johannesburg. Since we're a Johannesburg-based consulting firm, I fly back to Joburg every other weekend. To be honest, it's kind of a sweet deal. I can live and work in a change of scenery, while spending every other weekend in Joburg - not bad, hey? And of course, there's gained experience and skill, but that's a given.

Yes, Hello Hilton Hotel #Selfie.
The only real unnerving change, is that I don't have an apartment in Joburg anymore. Unlike my fellow colleagues, I have no family in Joburg. So yes, I am now a nomad to the fullest extent. For the first month I resided at the Hilton Hotel Windhoek, but then moved into a fully-furnished flat (or apartment). Before I left Joburg, I gave away most of my extra clothes and shoes. Since the flat I've lived in for the past year was fully furnished, the only items I own at the moment fit into the several suitcases I have, plus my car which I left at my friends house. Other than that, I own no furniture or anything of real value. And to be honest - I love it... no dressers, dining room tables, televisions or mattresses to move or sell! There's nothing holding me back should I choose to up and leave. I can simply pack my belongings and vamoose. Ah, the freedom!

So cheers to 2015. Cheers to more writing, reflecting, appreciating, and simply striving for happiness. I keep it simple. 



Soaking up the sun poolside at the Hilton on a Sunday afternoon.
View from the Hilton, uke and all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment